When you spend about 12 daily hours in front of your computer like I do, you have to think both in terms of efficiency and comfort. They don’t call me a keyboard ninja for nothing (or was it ”warrior”?). But the thing is, when I’m super tired, I also tend to become clumsy. And I’m pretty sure that’s not just typically me. At the beginning or at the end of the day, you too are prone to spill a cup of coffee or a glass of wine on your keyboard. But what if you had one that you could actually wash? Having a washable keyboard is no longer a dream of the past.
Owning a washable keyboard is not just something that computer people do. Can you imagine how much it would cost to repair or replace your keyboard each time your kid spills his/her grape juice on the desk? In fact, when you have kids, it’s pretty much safer to have as many waterproof things as you possibly can. Today, I’ve reviewed the most ninja/washable/kid-friendly/spill-resistant keyboard that you can get for under $100: the Logitech K310.
The Logitech K310 Washable Keyboard
First thing’s first, check out this presentation video:
It is a full-sized keyboard that, aside from providing protection against all sorts of liquids, still gives you a generous typing experience. The raised keys are connected with the main board in such a manner that they provide means for water to easily go under the keys.
The keys also give a sense of durability when you use them. In fact, an advanced computer user should be able to type about 90 words per minute without any problems (my inner ninja wordsmith voice is chuckling with satisfaction right now). The Logitech K310 washable keyboard comes with the general LEDs for Num Lock, CAPS Lock and Scroll Lock.
The back of the keyboard comes with a sticker that provides precise cleaning instructions. It even shows you what cleaning and drying methods to avoid, just to make sure you don’t damage the product. The USB port comes with a cap, which you can easily remove when plugging the keyboard into your PC. It can be put on just as easily when you want to clean the keyboard, just to make sure it doesn’t get wet in the process.
The Logitech K310 washable keyboard is a smart-buy for a bunch-load of reasons:
- This washable keyboard’s keys are UV coated, which makes them durable even after a considerable number of washes.
- The surface is scratch resistant. You may think that you don’t need this feature (how on Earth would a keyboard get scratched?!) but if you have children, trust me, you do.
- It comes with 12 hot-keys, so you can easily get adjust to using it as you would use any other normal keyboard.
- Thanks to its hot-keys, you have quick access to commonly used computer features, such as e-mail, volume controls, video playback controls, internet access and more.
- Since it’s a full-size keyboard, it comes with a numpad, which is a huge plus for people who work with numbers.
Even if the Logitech K310 washable keyboard is a very smart purchase, you need to be aware that certain products may come with flaws. Some of them typically are:
- Even if the keyboard’s legs are sturdy, forcing them will probably cause rupture. You won’t be able to replace them, which means you won’t be able to tilt the keyboard anymore if they break. However, it does require a bit of force to break its legs, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Unless you’re a gamer with raging issues.
- It doesn’t come with a wrist rest. While this is not generally a disadvantage, it may cause some discomfort to people who are used in having a keyboard with wrist rest.
- If you’re a super savvy and heavy gadget user and this is your 10th keyboard so far, you’ve probably become pickier with your typing experience. This Logitech washable keyboard comes with low profile keys. While they do have a lot of bounciness, the tactile response is quite minimal.
- If you’re not ordering this product inside the US, chances are you’ll pay up to $40 in shipping fees.
Cleaning the Logitech Washable keyboard is a breeze. Don’t use the dish-washer to clean the keyboard; it was designed for hand-wash only. As you prepare the keyboard for cleaning, make sure the water temperature is not higher than 50 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit). Also, you should not submerge the keyboard in water deeper than 30 cm (11 inches).
It is not advisable to use chemical product while cleaning the product either. Mild soap and a soft cloth should suffice. Solvents, alcohol or abrasive substances can cause damage to the keyboard’s surface. When preparing the keyboard for cleaning, make sure the USB port stays out of the water. Short duration submerges underwater, while using a soft cloth should do the trick. When drying the Logitech K310, make sure you don’t use hot-air dries. In fact, my ninja instinct tells me that hot air should never be used in drying any gadgets. Ever. The best advice would be to leave the keyboard to air dry overnight (about 8 hours should be enough).
The Logitech K310 washable keyboard comes with drainage holes that allow the product to dry faster. Even more, this washable keyboard comes with a brush attached to it. The brush is located on the bottom side of keyboard and it easily slides off. It can be used to quickly clean the keys and the space between them.
Ordering the Logitech K310, you will receive the actual keyboard itself, together with a cleaning brush that’s already attached to it, plus the required user documentation.
The Logitech K310 is currently compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. It can be connected to your PC or laptop via an USB port.
This keyboard is suitable for 3 scenarios:
- You’re a heavy computer user (you spend more than 6 hours daily in front of your computer), which means you often need to clean your keyboard.
- You have a child who user the computer on a regular basis (at least half an hour daily) and like to enjoy a drink or a snack while doing so.
- You have to buy keyboards for a school and you need something that’s kid-friendly, durable, easy-to-clean and at an good price.